Creative Writing Institute
The Mystery Lady
In the spring of 2008, Creative Writing Institute's website was in the brew. On a quiet evening, I browsed the net and happened across the picture of a woman whose smile was so captivating that I was compelled to read the article.
It was a newspaper interview about a Texas businesswoman whose world came crashing down with the word "cancer." As her body wasted away, friends and coworkers visited less. At length, only immediate family remained. Bald, sick, suicidal, and dying, she decided to do something she had always wanted to do – write.
Only a couple of times a week until she discovered she could paint new worlds into existence through short stories. The more she wrote, the less stress she felt. She didn't realize she had stumbled across a science called writing therapy.
As writing therapy combined with medical treatment, she experienced a miraculous recovery. This dear woman returned to the hospital where she was once a patient and taught cancer patients to do as she had done. She collected their stories, took them home to make comments, and returned them to the writer. The article concluded by saying that this lady had but one desire – to take a writing course.
I couldn't get her out of my mind. A week later I decided to donate a course and tutor her myself, but I couldn't find the story again. Now I realize that if I had found her, that would have been the end of it, but by not finding her I felt compelled to carry her torch. God rained ideas on me:
- The new writing school be a non-profit organization that would scholarship cancer patients
- We could educate and encourage sick children and the blind
- We could train the unemployed
- We could give senior citizens new purpose in life
- Public tuition, grants, and donatons could support the scholarship program
The possibilities were endless! So here we are.
We want to find the Mystery Lady and tell her what she’s done. Who is she? We think she’s in Dallas or Austin, Texas, but where? Someday we’ll find her and I will have the pleasure of telling her… one person can make a difference.
Ways you can Help
1. Any size gift -- http://www.creativewritinginstitute.com/donate.php/
2. We have a volunteer team that gathers writing articles, posts social networking, helps with office duties, fundraising, research, develops the reference room, etc. Some jobs require no experience. Even if you aren't a writer and you can devote only 10 minutes a day, we have jobs that you can do. Just write to me at DeborahOwen@CWinst.com.
3. Donate a product or expertise and write it off as a tax deduction.
4. Donate ad space on your site.
5. Carry our link.
6. Recommend this site to everyone you know.
7. Help us find the Mystery Lady!
9. Click on our blogs, "like" us, and make comments to help our ratings.
Everyone can make a difference in life. Share a smile. Give a compliment. Be kind. Thanks for dropping by!
Contact me here:
CEO & Founder
Creative Writing Institute