Creative Writing Institute
Creative Writing Institute has an amazing story lurking behind the scenes. We seek the woman who inspired our creation. The woman whose name we don't know. The woman we have never met and cannot find. The woman who doesn't even know we exist.
The Mystery Woman
In the spring of 2008, Creative Writing Institute was in the brew. On a quiet evening, I browsed the net and happened across the picture of a smiling woman. Pearly teeth and brilliant eyes compelled me to read the article.
The woman told the story of her success as a businesswoman until the day she discovered she had cancer. As her body wasted away, friends and coworkers became uncomfortable in her presence and at length, only immediate family remained. Bald, sick, suicidal, and dying, she decided to do something she had always wanted to do – write.
At first, she wrote a couple of times a week. Then, as short stories painted new worlds into existence, she discovered it relieved her of stress. She didn't realize she had stumbled across a scientific method called writing therapy.
Combined with medical treatment, she not only experienced a full and miraculous recovery, but also returned to the hospital where she was once a patient. Determined to make a difference in life, she went from room to room, shared her story with other cancer patients, and encouraged them to write stories. She returned to pick the stories up, made comments, and returned them to the patients. The article concluded by saying that the Mystery Lady had one desire – to take a writing course.
I thought about the lady for a week, and finally decided to give her a course and privately tutor her. I now realize that if I had found her, that would have been the end of it, but by not finding her, I felt called to carry her torch. So I began to wonder:
1. Why couldn’t the new writing school be a non-profit organization that could scholarship thousands?
2. We could educate and encourage sick children
3. We could train the unemployed
4. We could give senior citizens new purpose in life
5. Public tuition, grants, and donors could support the scholarship program
The possibilities were endless! So here we are. Creative Writing Institute started with one person and thus far it has swelled to 20.
We want to find the Mystery Lady and tell her what she’s done. Who is she? Where is she? We think she’s in Dallas or Austin, Texas. Someday we’ll find her and tell her… one person can make a difference.
I learned that one person CAN make a difference. YOU can make a difference.
Ways You Can Help
1. Any size gift will help -- http://www.creativewritinginstitute.com/donate.php/
2. We have a volunteer team that gathers writing articles, posts social networking, helps with office duties, fundraising, research, develops the reference room, etc. Some jobs require no experience. Even if you aren't a writer and you can devote only 10 minutes a day, we have jobs that you can do. Just write to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Donate a product or expertise and write it off as a tax deduction.
4. Donate ad space on your site.
5. Carry our link.
6. Recommend this site to everyone you know.
7. Help us find the Mystery Lady!
9. Click on our blogs, "like" us, and make comments to help our ratings.
So how about it? Wouldn't you like to make a difference in life? You CAN at http://www.creativewritinginstitute.com/donate.php. Will you? Thanks for dropping by!
Contact me here:
CEO & Founder
Creative Writing Institute